April 18, 2020
I am not a meat eater. My husband is, however. Usually, he only eats meat when we go out to eat. BUT, we are in quarantine. So today, I made up a fun version of stuffed cabbage. Usually, it calls for rice, but this is a “keto” version, just for my darling man. He said it was delicious, but I can’t tell you for sure that he’s telling the truth or just being a good husband 🙂 MAKES 6 SERVINGS
One large green cabbage
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped and divided into two seperate piles
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can of tomatoes
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 lb ground beef
Green onions if you have them handy, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil a very large pot of water. Chop the bottom of the cabbage off and boil for 4 minute, or until you can easily pull the cabbage leaves off.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan and add half the onions. Sauté until fragrant. Then add the garlic for a few minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and a bit of water to thin it out. Finally, add the vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To get the beef prepared, put it in bowl and add the onions, and the green onion if you have. Salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sauce cooks, pull off your first leaf. Put about 1/3 cup of beef mixture into the center of a cabbage leaf. Roll the first part down, the tuck in the sides of the leave, and roll the bottom up. I googled it, it was super easy. Repeat until the meat is gone. It made about 6 large rolls for me.
- Take sauce off flame, and puree it in the blender.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with sauce. Then add the rolls, and cover with sauce. I also added a few ladles of the leftover cabbage water.
- Cook for 60-70 minutes. You can let is cool and soak in the juices more, or serve right away.