I always like to experiment how different foods make me feel. Lately, I’ve been taking out lectins. I’m not going to go into what lectins are, but if you’re curious, you can read about them here. I don’t know if its real or placebo effect, but I have been feeling really good removing lectins from my diet. Since I can’t have tomatoes, I have been making this alternative sauce. It is really tasty and rich. It isn’t tomato sauce, but its a damn good second. Makes 4-6 servings
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil, or other oil
1 beet, peeled and chopped
4-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups water
1/4 cup chopped basil
- Heat oil and add onion. Cook until fragrant. Then add the garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the veggies, salt and pepper. Add water, boil for 10-15 minutes, until beet and carrot are soft.
- Add basil, cook for a few minutes.
- Transfer to blender in batches. BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE BLENDING IT HOT AND DO NOT HAVE A VITAMIX!
- Puree in blender. Serve over pasta, or as a sauce for pizza.
*I served over homemade almond meal pasta, recipe to come*