I’ve been craving some serious baked goods lately, and had to come up with an alternative to a real bagel. These are seriously good! I adapted them SLIGHTLY from Dr. Gundry’s book, Plant Paradox Cookbook. They came out DELICIOUS! My husband and I ate them all in one sitting! Makes 10-12 mini bagels
2 teaspoons plus more to salt the water
3 cups blanched almond flour
1 cup tapioca starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 packet stevia
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
toppings of choice – I used fresh rosemary, Maldon Sea Salt and Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Heat the over to 400 degrees. You will need to cover a baking pan with parchment paper, or coat well with oil. To be honest, they still stuck to the parchment paper a bit, so I will try with oil next time.
- Fill a large pot with a good amount of water. Salt the water and bring to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca starch, 2 tsp salt, baking powder and packet of stevia.
- Remove 1/2 cup of water from the pot before it hits a full boil.
- Add the 1/2 cup of water to the flour mixture, along with the apple cider vinegar. Stir well. I used a spatula and then my CLEAN hands. If it is too dry, add a big more water. Should be sticky dough.
- Then make into 10-12 small balls. Flatten the balls and use your finger to poke a hole in each. Be careful. If it is not mixed enough, the dough will break easily.
- Add 3 or 4 bagels into the boiling water at a time. Remove when they float to the top (about 30 seconds or so).
- After boiling, bake them for 10 minutes. While they are baking, whisk the egg into a small bowl.
- After 10 minutes of baking, remove the bagels. One at a time, spread some egg mixture onto the bagel. Use the egg to stick the topping of choice onto each bagel. You want to do these one by one so the egg doesn’t dry before adding the topping.
- Bake for 10 more minutes. Then raise temp of oven to 425 degrees and bake about 5 more minute.
- Serve them with whatever you please! We ate them right away, warm, and they were SUPER.